Saturday, February 28, 2015

INTRODUCTION, Losing to Win




LOSING TO WIN
INTRODUCTION


.
How could I,   a minister of the gospel, having enjoyed a front row seat to God saving souls, healing afflictions, comforting the sorrowful, expanding His kingdom, and building His church be unable to draw on His power to overcome the effects of loss in my own heart when I left professional ministry?  The God, I had regularly watched do miraculous things through me, now seemed powerless to relieve my distress. Frustration, anxiety, anger, and sorrow eventually captured hidden places in my heart.  The easy victory I had grown to expect over a personal sin slowly became more difficult to win.
.
To avoid temptation all I had to do was increase my Christian service.  It had worked well for years.  However all non-ministry activities, interests, pursuits, and relationships received less and less of my attention.   Eating, sleeping, and drinking Christian service had the benefit of ever increasing ministry successes but required an ever narrowing focus.  It seemed to be the fulfillment of the scriptural injunction to, “Walk in the Spirit, and ye will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh.” (Gal. 5:16 KJV)  However I had gone from walking in the Spirit to walking in the ministry.  Toward the end, waiting on the Lord was a luxury I could not afford.  I was just too busy. 
.
I had become addicted to “ministry”.  The more I gave it, the more it demanded. I needed more of it to fight off sin’s promise of momentary relieve. A relieve I desperately needed with the increasing demands and frustrations of my over booked schedule.  Losing my “self” in ministry I eventually felt hopelessly separated from God.   It had to stop…so I quit. But now what?
.
I, who turned to ministry in times of temptation, was baffled by my inability to gain either comfort or victory from God.  Not only did I find myself almost defenseless when in the grip of a reoccurring temptation but my whole life was being disassembled.  Thankfully, a couple of former parishioners took pity on me.  Their loving intervention helped push me along in the grieving process.  Of course the grieving process does not, as I discovered, end with a healthy reassembled personality. It simple brings the griever to the starting point of a major personality overhaul.
.
One day, while driving down the freeway my thoughts replayed the tragic effects of my loss.  It was as if I was looking through the lens of a camera.  I saw my grief widen to include my wife and children.  I recognized, perhaps for the first time, the negative impact my loss was having on them.  Unexpectedly the focal point widened to reveal several other ex-church workers and their loved ones, each broken, disappointed, alienated, confused, and hurting.  Suddenly the field of vision opened on a vast crowed of displaced Christian workers and their families all experiencing some degree of a similar sorrow.  Tears veiled the road ahead as I was confronted with the compounded pain.  For an instant I felt the compassion God must feel for that distressed multitude.
.
I was compelled to discover the dynamics of that kind of sadness.  It crossed my mind that if I could get myself free from the effects of this sorrow perhaps I could help others reach a similar freedom.  And so I began an investigation into the brokenness of loss hoping to discover a repair.   I concluded the investigation and recorded my findings about ten years ago.  I need to share those findings that resulted in a life joy and peace I could not have imagined before.
.
 That is why, starting March first, I intend to boil down those findings and present them as a series on my blog, captjbeppler.blogspot,com  The series is entitled, “LOSING TO WIN.”  
.
I’m hoping the report will help abbreviate the effects of loss for someone else.  I encourage comments at the end of each post.  Doing so will allow us to deal personally with any aspects or details that need amplified or clarified.  Please join me as I share my experience of “LOSING TO WIN”.

No comments: